Remember, remember, the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot
Chocolate cupcakes filled with milk chocolate chips, drizzled with melted chocolate and toasted marshmallows, the perfect treat for this Bonfire Night!
The fifth of November is a special date here in the England. It's a commemoration of the event in 1605 where Guy Fawkes was caught in the cellars of the Houses of Parliament with several dozen barrels of gunpowder. He was later tried as a traitor for plotting against the government and then hung.
It's still celebrated, in various forms, with bonfires, street parades at night, sparklers, fireworks and burning effigies of Guy Fawkes (and other people sometimes). "Remember, remember the fifth of November" is now a well known nursery rhyme and serves as a warning to each new generation that treason will never be forgotten.
The night for me is filled with memories of going to my Grandma's house when I was younger, with my dad and uncle lighting fireworks at the bottom of the garden, while we waited and watched, cuddled in blankets, scarves, gloves and hats, eyes wide as the fireworks exploded above us. Inside the house, we'd feast on soups, mini sausage rolls, casseroles, bread (our family loves bread) and not forgetting... the cakes.
This year, to celebrate, I made these campfire cupcakes! I just really love toasted marshmallows. They're moist and deliciously chocolatey, with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips inside too! Then drizzled with melted chocolate and topped with some more toasted marshmallows.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 150g (5 1/2 oz) light muscovado sugar
- 150g (5 1/2 oz) butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) self raising flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder (baking soda)
- 50g (1 3/4 oz) cocoa powder
- 50g (1 3/4 oz) good quality milk or dark chocolate
- 100g (5 1/2 oz) mini marshmallows
- 50g (1 3/4 oz) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 170C/325F/gas mark 3. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then pulse in the eggs and milk, and then the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder until combined.
- Stir through chocolate chips and half the mini marshmallows (leaving enough to scatter on the tops).
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases - they should be about 2/3 full.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until springy to touch. Take out and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water (or in 30 second blasts in the microwave), then drizzle over the cooled cupcakes.
- Put a little pile of marshmallows on the top (the chocolate will help them stick) and, using a cook's blow torch, brown the marshmallows. Or, if like me you didn't have a cook's blowtorch, then simply turn your grill on. Place the muffins on a flat baking tray and place under the grill, close enough to the flame. Watch them closely, being careful not to let them burn. They should be under there for about 30 seconds-1 minute and they should start to brown. But keep a close eye on them as it may be quicker than that!